We are interested in a broad range of industries and types of startups. Fundamentally, we like businesses that make economic sense. Those can be found in many corners of the startup ecosystem and business community.
- Early stage startups, first-money-in up to Series A.
- Businesses based in Central Illinois and the Midwest.
- Hard-to-imitate technology, including lab-originated and/or IP-protected hardware, chemistry, and other tangible inventions.
- SaaS businesses with significant advantages over their competitors.
- Businesses that make the world a better place in big or small ways. Could be practical improvements or life-saving technologies.
- Founders/CEO’s who relentlessly lean into reality and tell themselves and us the truth about the good, bad, and ugly.
Here are a few things we typically don’t invest in:
- Round sizes greater than $5M at the time of our initial investment.
- Drug development or other therapeutic interventions for use in humans. (Medical device and healthcare IT are ok.)
- Businesses headquartered on the West Coast, or outside the U.S.
- Consumer-facing retail/ad tech such as promotional apps. (Back-end Ad Tech is ok.)
- Businesses that harm their customers such as providers of gambling or tobacco products.